A Domain Name is the web address for your website. But, the power of Domain Names is more than just their ability to find websites.
Choosing the right Domain Name is similar to choosing a company name — it requires careful and wise selection process so it can help you fast track your business’ success. So, knowing what makes for a good Domain Name really matters.
Firstly, it is important to choose a name that does not only represent your company but is also easy to remember. Hence, it is best to keep it short and relevant to your business. A name that is easy to spell and type is a bonus.
For example, if your business is shoe repair, it is ideal for your Domain Name to include the keywords “shoe” and “repair” — the words your potential customers will search when they need your service.
For businesses with specific locality or target market, including your city, state, or region in your Domain Name can help your customers find you faster.
Now for the Domain Name Extensions. These are suffixes such as such as .com, .com.au, .net, .org that are found at the end of web addresses. There are several options for this where each one has a specific function. Make sure to choose the one that is suited for your business.
How would you know which extension is best for you? That depends on the purpose of your website. The following are some top extensions and how they’re often used:
- .com - For company, commerce, and community sites; most widely used extension.
- .info – For informational sites.
- .net – For technical, internet infrastructure sites.
- .org – For non-commercial and non-profit organisations.
- .biz – For business or e-commerce sites.
- .me – For blogs, resumes, or personal sites.
- .au, .us, .uk, .ph etc. – Country-code extensions; for country-specific websites; recognised as the official extension of its corresponding country.
As you can see, there are Generic and Country-coded extensions that you can use. Know more about them here.