In recovering an ESXi configuration, you need a Linux-based bootable media.
If you want to know how to create a bootable media using Cloud Backup, click the link below:
Note: When recovering an ESXi configuration to a non-original ESXi host and the original host is still connected to the vCenter Server, you will need to disconnect and remove this host from the vCenter Server to avoid issues during the recovery. If you want to keep the original ESXi host along with the recovered one, you can add it again when the recovery is complete.
In an ESXi configuration backup, the virtual machines running on the host are not included. They can be backed up and recovered, separately.
Recovering ESXi configuration
To recover an ESXi configuration in Cloud Backup, follow the steps below:
- Using the bootable media, boot the target machine then click Manage this machine locally.
- If the backup location is in cloud storage and is accessed using a proxy server, click Tools.
Then under Proxy Server, specify the proxy server host name/IP address and port. Otherwise, skip this step.
- On your welcome screen, click Recover.
- Click Select Data, then click Browse.
- Specify the backup location then click OK to confirm your selection.
- When recovering from cloud storage, select Cloud Storage and enter the Login username and Password of the account to which the backed up machine is assigned.
- When recovering from a local or a network folder, browse to the specific folder under Local Folders or Network Folders.
- In Show, select ESXi configurations then select the backup you want to recover the data from and click OK.
If prompted, type in the password for the backup, then click OK.
- In Disks to be used for new datastores, set the following:
- Under Recover ESXi to, choose the disk where the host configuration recovery will be saved. In recovering the configuration to the original host, the original disk is already selected by default.
- Under Use for new datastore, you may select the disks where new datastores will then be created.
Note: All data on the disks selected will be lost. To preserve the virtual machines in the existing datastores, do not select any disks.
- If any disks have been selected for new datastores, under How to create new datastores, select the datastore creation method.
You can create one datastore per disk or create one datastore on all selected HDDs.
- In Network Mapping, you can change the result of automatic mapping to the physical network adapters for virtual switches present in the backup.
- Click RECOVERY OPTIONS to specify additional settings then click OK to begin the recovery.
Congratulations! You have successfully recovered an ESXi configuration.