An ESXi host configuration backup enables you to have a bare metal ESXi host recovery. This recovery is done using bootable media.
If you want to know how to create a bootable media using Cloud Backup, click the link below:
The backup does not include the virtual machines running on the host. They can be backed up and recovered separately.
An ESXi host configuration backup includes the following:
- Host partitions – which includes the bootloader and boot bank.
- Host state – which includes the configuration of virtual networking and storage, server network settings, SSL keys, and local user information.
- Installed or staged extensions and patches on the host.
- Log files.
In configuring ESXi to back up in Cloud, ensure that you have the following prerequisites:
- SSH of the ESXi host configuration must be enabled in the Security Profile.
- Password for the 'root' account on the ESXi host must be available.
Selecting ESXi configuration to back up in Cloud
Here’s how to select an ESXi host configuration backup:
- Go to VMware then click Host and clusters.
- Browse to the ESXi hosts which you need to back up.
- Select the ESXi hosts and click Backup.
- Under What to back up, select ESXi configuration.
- Under ESXi 'root' password, specify a password for the 'root' account on each selected host or use the same password for all of the hosts.
Congratulations! You have successfully selected the ESXi configuration.