Name Servers are used to point a domain name to an IP address.
An IP address or Internet Protocol address, is a unique sequence of numbers separated by periods assigned to each device. It functions as a form of identification and location addressing. It communicates to the entire network where your website is located. The Name Servers acts as the route, informing the network how people can get to your website.
So instead of typing a set of number sequence to navigate to a certain website through a browser, which is going to be very hard to remember, you can simply type in the domain name.
When your client purchases a domain name, the default name servers set are the following:
The above name servers link to a white-labeled park page that indicates the domain is parked. If your client has a hosting package attached to the purchased domain, the name servers must be set to the following:
If you have a personalized park page or you wish to route the domain names ordered through your Reseller system to a website of your own, you can alter the default name servers by following the steps below:
- Using your chosen browser, navigate to the following address:
- Enter your Reseller Account username and password and click Log In.
- Under the Account Settings tab, select Storefront. Then from the list under Storefront, click on General Setup.
- On the Default Name Servers section, click on Options then click on Update.
- Under the Hostname column, replace the existing Name Server 1 and Name Server 2 with your desired Name Servers.
The system will automatically detect the corresponding IP address of each assigned name server. If not, replace the existing IP address beside each name server with the correct values.
If you need to add more name servers, click on the ADD NAME SERVER option beside the Save button.
- Then click on Save to update the default name servers for each domain name ordered by your clients.
Congratulations! You just updated the default name servers for your clients’ domain name registrations.